Anyone who cooks will agree on two things. Cooking can be fun but the cleaning afterward can be a nightmare! Cooking on your flat top grill can produce a wide variety of tasty meals and leave you with quite a mess to clean up afterward. So, is there a way on how to clean a flat top grill?
In today’s article, we’ll be looking at a few of the different, but effective ways to clean your flat top grill. We’ll be covering everything from soap to lemon juice!
What are flat top grills?
Flat top grills are cooking appliances similar to griddles. The main difference between a griddle and a flat top is the heating element. In a flat top, the heating element is circular rather than straight.
This type of element makes an extremely hot surface creating a more even quicker heating process. Restaurants use flat top grills because of the minimal time it takes to cook a wide variety of foods.
Cleaning flat top grills aren’t complex at all. The trick is to clean your grill after every use so that there isn’t any grease and debris build-up. There are many ways to clean your flat top grill. You can use more conventional ways like soap and water, steam or even specialized flat top grill cleaners and bricks.
Ways of cleaning flat top grills
Cleaning your flat top grill after every use is the best way to ensure the grease and food debris don’t build up. The more it builds up, the harder it’ll be to clean off. Leaving food residue on your grill will also affect the flavor of the next food that’s cooked on it.
There are several ways to clean your grill. Most manufacturers have specialized scrapers, brushes and grill cleaner brands to keep their grills clean. However, there are also more natural ways to clean flat top grills that don’t involve any chemicals.
With grill cleaner
Grill cleaner is a liquid that is sprayed onto the grill and after soaking for a few minutes can be wiped off. This type of cleaner removes grease and food debris.
A common grill cleaner is the Stera-Sheen Griddle & Flat Grill Surface Cleaner. This cleaner meets the US Safety Product Standards and is designed to thoroughly clean any grease off your flat top grill.
Without grill cleaner
If you don’t have grill cleaner, you might be wondering how to clean a flat top grill without grill cleaner. Well, the answer is quite simple. There are several ways to clean your flat top grill that involve items you probably already have around your kitchen. Some of these options are listed below.
Since wire brushes can leave scratches on your grill, a better cleaning alternative is a grill brick. If you’re wondering how to clean a flat top grill with grill brick, it’s as easy as using a sponge. Grill bricks like the Avant Grub Store Grill Cleaning Brick is a great way of removing grime and grease from a hot flat top grill. The cleaning brick is non-toxic and doesn’t absorb the gunk it cleans.
The citric properties of lemon juice are excellent for cleaning everything around the kitchen. And your grill is no exception. If you’re thinking about how to clean a flat top grill with lemon juice, read on to see how easy it is:
- Make a lemon and water mixture using one-fourth lemon juice and three thirds of water
- Switch the grill onto the hot setting
- Spray the lemon juice on and spread it around the grill
- Spray enough of the solution on to form a paste with the grease
- Switch the grill off and pour more lemon juice mixture on while the grill cools
- Repeat if the stove is dirty
- Drain the mixture off
You’ve undoubtedly heard of the many uses of vinegar. But have you ever wondered how to clean a flat top grill with a vinegar solution? Simply follow these easy steps:
- Mix a solution of vinegar and water (half of each)
- Switch the grill on hot
- Spray the vinegar mixture on the grill and spread it around with a grill brush
- Repeat this about two or three times till the mixture and grease have formed a gunky mess
- Switch the grill off and pour more of the vinegar mixture on the grill
- The vinegar will wash the gunky mess off
- Repeat the process if necessary
The most conventional way of cleaning your flat top grill and pretty much anything else in your kitchen is by using dishwashing liquid and a sponge! If the drippings and other food debris aren’t baked onto the grill, it should come off quite easily. Many grill users believe this is the best way to clean a flat top grill.
Another easy way to clean your flat top is by using hot oil. Here’s how to do it:
- Pour a small amount of oil on a hot grill
- Use a grill brick and scrub in small circular motions to mix the oil with the grease
- Use a grill brush to scrape everything off
- Use a sponge to wipe off the residual grease
Have you ever considered using an onion to clean your flat top? Believe it or not, it does work!
- Cut a large onion in half
- While the grill is still hot, use the onion halves to scrub the grill surface
- Using the onion will loosen any bits of chard meat that’s stuck on the grill
- This is an effective way to clean trays as well and it adds an onion aroma too!
If you’re considering how to clean a flat top without chemicals, you can easily do it with steam and a grill brush.
- Switch the grill on high heat and use a grill brush to scrape away any drippings or debris
- Sprinkle water and then spread it around using your grill brush
- Add more water if necessary and continue scraping the drippings
- Drain the liquid once all the drippings are loosened and scraped off
With the above methods, you’ll definitely find a convenient way to keep your flat top grill clean and shiny. Perhaps try different methods until you find the one that cleans your grill the way you want. The key point to remember is to clean your grill after every use so that the grease and grime don’t build up. If you didn’t know how to clean a flat top grill before we hope this guide helped you find the best way to do it.